Trail of the Mountain Spirits More Information Page
Trail of the Mountain Spirits More Information
Start Time and Location:
Check-in starts at 10am and a rider briefing will begin at 10:30am LOCAL TIME, located at the Albertson's on Hwy 180 Silver City, NM. Please do not start riding prior to 11am. Allow 3 to 3 1/2 hours travel from central Tucson. ALL schedules will be in LOCAL TIME! Don't forget that New Mexico is an hour ahead of Arizona.
Included in your ride fee:
* SAG Support - Saturday water stop and lunch at City of Rocks, Sunday Water stop and lunch in Mimbres, Monday SAG and lunch in Pinos Altos;
* Baggage Transportation;
* Camping on Friday night at City of Rocks State Park (you will be responsible for your vehicle fee for Friday night. You can leave your tent set up on Saturday morning and showers and restrooms will be available.);
* Camping on Saturday night at City of Rocks State Park;
* Dormitory lodging & camping on Sunday night at Camp Thunderbird;
* Meals: Saturday lunch and dinner, Sunday breakfast, lunch and dinner, Monday breakfast and lunch;
Saturday - On the first day of your bike ride, you will cycle 31.3 miles through the mining towns of Bayard with a SAG stops at 12.3 and lunch at 26 miles into the ride. The route has a nice shoulder with minimal traffic. The City of Rocks State Park is an amazing result of geologic process of erosion, and a quiet retreat. Millions of years ago, fingers of molten rock deposited copper, silver and gold that made Silver City one of the Southwest richest mineralized areas. The park offers a visitor center, hot showers, hiking and mountain bike trails. You'll have time to explore this panoramic wonder, thrown up by an ancient volcano an eroded by the wind. Camping ONLY!
On Sunday, everyone will pedal 38.2 miles up the Membres Valley. This scenic route follows the Mimbres River through green orchards and small farms, and even a couple of ghost town sites. Don't forget your camera for a photo of a waterfall and of yourself crossing the Continental Divide. Lodging will be provided at Camp Thunderbird, dormitory style bunk beds and camping options underneath the pines, with hot showers and meals provided.
Monday is 39.6 miles with a good 3.6 mile climb to test your lower gears as you climb to your first SAG and then continue on through the pines to the historic town of Pinos Altos (which means "Tall Pines") to be greeted with lunch. You may want to walk your bike through the short main street which will take you back to the late 1800's. The last 7.5 miles is a fast downhill to Silver City, a great way to end the tour!!!
There will be many sensations you will experience as you pedal along the Trail of the Mountain Spirits National Scenic Byway. The name reflects those who have walked and pedaled through the ages and a sense of the flora & fauna that capture you.